Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day One

Now I know I started this journey with the upmost confidence in my abilities to be adaptable and get through any challenge without too much trouble.  Who am I kidding, after like a billion hours of traveling and finally landing in a place where I don't speak the language, know ANYONE, or know my way around I think anyone would have a little breakdown.  Breakdown I did in my tiny Italian dorm room with the most beautiful windows I've ever seen and ceilings that are nothing short of incredible.  I thought to myself "what was I thinking?"  I was that little girl who had mental breakdowns as a child because I hated leaving home and this is the ultimate way to finally put that to rest.  I think most of the sadness was because of the isolation I felt coupled with the fact that I hadn't had more than 4 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours.  I am still trying to recover.  So to shorted my story, fast forward to 10:30am and I finally get to meet the teacher I'm helping and she is so amazing.  She is a runner, she competed on Italy's national team, she is going to show me where the local gym is, and she knows where Eugene is!!  I have never breathed a heavier sigh oguif relief.  All of the people I have met in Italy so far whether that be my new friend Katherine on the bus, or the teachers and students in Convitto, everyone has been so warm, welcoming, and helpful.  I have only been here 24 hours and I can tell Italy is a place of love, beauty, and real connections with people.  I am so excited to immerse myself in that culture and to come out the other side a more compassionate individual.  On a side note and how I am already tying these experiences to my ultimate educational goals, I can now officially say I understand what it's like for the students with a language delay in school.  What a feeling of isolation and sadness and that is just their reality every day.  My conviction to help those individuals has been strengthened.  Also, their special education system is interesting.  They have the special education students with their peers at all times with a resource teacher helping and guiding them.  In Italy the teachers are the ones who switch classrooms whereas the students just stay in one room the whole school day.  This is opening my eyes in every way possible.  And now it's time for a nap before lunch.  I miss my family and Brent terribly, but I feel renewed after such a great meeting with the English teacher.

Arrivedercci.

Also, the only thing I have picked up in Italian is "Io non parlo l'italiano, mi dispiace"
I don't speak Italian, I'm sorry.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear all this and will be looking forward to your posts, sounds like the teacher is going to be a great helping hand for you. I have always believed that God only gives you things that he knows you can handle, and puts things and people there to help you in your journey. We love you and are so very proud of you for taking this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Grandma and Grandpa Edwards:

    What a wonderful way to record your memories and share them with us, Lins! Photographs are a must, too, but these word-pictures that you are recording right now are priceless. They will allow this experience to stay in your heart forever. Grandpa and I love and miss you so much already, but we are also very proud of you for giving yourself the opportunity to grow and allow your comfort zone to expand beyond the boundaries most of us set for ourselves. Enjoy, Lins! Thank you for taking us along with you on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me, Lins!

    ReplyDelete